Tuesday, September 13, 2005

omikoshi bearing in shina machi


Our gig at Cork heads ran through to about 2am Sunday morning.Jon and I agreed that it was a'feel good show' with the audience seemingly enjoying themselves throughout and ourselves recieving only positive feedback(for a change!).Special thanks to our sound man Mickey for doing a great job again, against impossible odds,trying to blend the sound of five loud instruments in a small and acoustically challenged venue.The most daunting challenge is surely getting me to sound good up there!
After packing up(once again I failed to assist my comrades adequately) Jon and the other guys split. I had to get home ,too, since I still had a big day ahead of me. I had been invited to participate in a traditional Matsuri(festival)in tokyo. during the drive into the city I tried to doze but the over excitement of the evening left me too agitated to slumber. So I just closed my eyes and tried to rest.
We changed into our beautiful festival garb(I could even choose from dazzling array of traditional head wraps) and I couldnt help but think again of how traditional Japanese costume is so much more striking than the standard western wear preferred by most Japanese today. Walking outside among the Hapi(festival coat) clad revellers,I wanted to take a picture of each individual, for each man woman and child looked, how should I put it...so cool. though I consider myself a very serious Nipponophile and have joined in occassionally on one of the many, many festivals I have visited over the years in Japan,this would be my first time to be part of the official Omikoshi(portable shrine) bearing group.And though I had witnessed and photographed such scenes countless times I was absolutely unprpared for the experience I was about to undergo.a reversion to the PRIMEVAL,a revival of Baccanalia., a dangerous, violent, and painful expression of the communities pent up energies.
To be continued........
Avi Landau

No comments: