Thursday, September 15, 2005

Avi at the festival

Participating in the Nagasaki Shrine Festival was not unlike doing a Tengooz show.
The first similarity is superficial.I mean superficial in it direct sense, that is in costume. I usually wear something traditionally Japanese for a show. Also, the carrying of the portable shrine and the chanting are done in 4 sets of about 30 minutes. The most striking similarity however, is in the intensity and power.
In a Japanese festival involving portable shrines,the men and women who bear its great weight, try to make the shrine 'alive' by shaking it and rhythmically chanting. This is done to the limit of endurance.Though I was probably the only one involved who was not drinking, I was still transported to a different spiritual plane due to the physical stress,and chanting.
Those of you who have seen a TenGooz show know that that is what they can expect in terms of effort and intensity form Jon the other members and myself. Sometimes I am amazed that Kenya hasnt blown his own lungs out of his horn!
Tomorrow I will talk a little about tonights practice and our plans for the next recordings.
Avi Landau

No comments: